[BioC] EdgeR GOF non-linear

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Oct 20 02:59:08 CEST 2012

Dear Thomas,

Could you please upgrade to the current Bioconductor release?  Your
questions might not go way, but you will find some improvements and, as a
general principle, I don't like to spend time discussing older software.

I think you're over-interpreting the gof plots.  You worry that the second
gof plot looks nonlinear, but to me it's beautifully linear, or as close
to linear as real data gets.

The gof plots are intended to judge whether the prior.df parameter has
been chosen too large or small.  They are not intended to judge whether
you have outlier samples -- this is better done from the MDS plot.  They
may help to judge whether you have outlier genes -- but this is more
clearly done from the BCV plot.

The most notable feature of your data appears to be that there are five
outlier genes, as shown clearly by the BCV plot.  To my mind, the
appropriate next step would be to identify those genes, to look at the
counts for these genes, to try to identify why they are outliers, and to
note which samples they are outliers in.  In other words, the analysis has
identified features of the biology and the experimental procedure that
require more thought and attention.

It is these outliers that cause the slight nonlinearity on the far
right on your gof plots.

We have some methods under development that can automatically identify and
downweight outlier genes but, with the current software, an alternative
strategy might be to simply filter out the 5 outlier transcripts and
repeat the analysis without them.

You might also consider a smaller value for prior.df, although the default
value might be fine with the outliers gone.

Best wishes
Gordon

PS. I feel that I have already answered your third question, see:

https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2012-October/048504.html

If you want me to comment more on this, you would need to respond to my
earlier comments.

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
http://www.statsci.org/smyth