[BioC] goseq error messsage

Nadia Davidson nadia.davidson at mcri.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 02:41:59 CEST 2013

Yemmy [guest] <guest at ...> writes:
> I aligned my RNA-seq data using ensemble igenome for cattle and used
edgeR for DE identification. I wanted
> to use goseq but I got this error:
>
> >pwf=nullp(genes,"bosTau4","ensGene")
> Error in qr.R(qrx) :
>   could not find symbol "..." in environment of the generic function.
>
> I have my gene_id as ENSBTAG00000000005 but in the package, I
realised it's in ENSG00000230758 (ENSBTAG
> and ENSG) This is the first time as I don't have much experience in
converting my gene_id to the "ENSG"
> format which appears to be compatible with goseq. I'm not sure about
this as I'm a newbie.

> Thanks and I appreciate any imput.

Hi,

The cattle ensembl ids should work fine for goseq. I just did a small test on my
version of goseq and couldn't reproduce the error you posted. The ENSG genes
are just for human I think, so shouldn't be mixed with the cattle ones.

It could be that there is some other issue with the gene names. If you email
me a file with the list from "names(genes)" I can look into it in more detail.

Cheers,
Nadia.