[BioC] Measuring shifts in intronic expression independently of exons

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Fri Aug 30 15:35:55 CEST 2013

Dear Jim, Martin & list

Martin's proposal of using splice graphs is definitely the way to go, it is conceptually appealing, would have more power, and results are potentially more readily interpretable. That said, the current state of what we have in DEXSeq does the testing exon-by-exon, and lack of power does not seem to be James' problem. Regarding James' questions:

1. It is fine, and to be expected, that the sum of per-exon counts is larger than the per-gene count. This is OK because a read that covers multiple exons is counted multiple times, for each of the overlaps. This makes sense for the testing setup of DEXSeq. It tests, marginally, exon by exon, whether its relative usage among all transcripts from the locus is condition-dependent. Since the tests are marginal, correlations between counts of neighbouring exons are not a problem. Each overlap of a read is a postiive piece of evidence for it being expressed.

2. Regarding your high number of results, here are some considerations:
- the fact that swapping sample labels leads to greatly reduced sets of hits is reassuring
- definitely do go ahead with visualising the results to see what is going on and whether this large number of calls is justified by the data (please keep us in the loop)
- did you see the "plotDEXSeq" function
- an effect size (fold-change) cutoff might help focus the results on the most interesting instances. How does the volcano plot look like?

	Hope this helps
	Wolfgang