[BioC] statistical test for time course data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 3 00:50:35 CET 2013

Dear Rich,

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 10:30:16 -0500
> From: Richard Friedman <friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu>
> To: chris Jhon <cjhon217 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [BioC] statistical test for time course data
>
> Dear Chris,
>
> The F-test in Limma will tell you if at least one point is different
> from the others. It won't tell you which one.

The time course example in the limma User's Guide does use an F-test, but
limma isn't limited to that approach.

> The program EDGE (not EdgeR which is a different program entirely) will
> do the same based on an model which explicitly takes temporal variation
> into account (this is why I mention it).

limma can easily do explicit temporal modelling by fitting time course
trends, for example as polynomials or as spline curves.  It's just a
matter of defining the design matrix.

> There is also a t-test that deals with whether a single measurement is a
> member of the same normal distribution as other measurements. I am not
> sure off hand, how to do this in R. If you implement this in R and do it
> for all the rows, it may be the test that you want. If you do this, you
> will be forgoing the empirical Bayesian increase in accuracy in Limma or
> the explicit temporal modeling in EDGE, but that is up to you. If you do
> this, you should current for false discoveries.

limma can test for a single observation as an outlier by creating a design
matrix column specific for that observation.  This produces an empirical
Bayes version of the classical t-test for an outlier.

Best wishes
Gordon