[BioC] HTqPCR problem with creation of qPCRset

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Feb 19 17:28:24 CET 2013

Hi Elisabeth,

On 2/19/2013 10:25 AM, Elisabeth Gilis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a PhD student from the University of Ghent, and I'm just starting
> to learn how to work with R.
> The initial aim is to analyse qPCR data with the package HTqPCR so I
> read quite a few manuals regarding the program R and HTqPCR.
> My problem is situated right at the beginning of the analysis, namely
> I think I got it correctly that I first have to make a so-called
> "qPCRset" of my data?
> So just to begin easily, I made an Excel file with just 3 columns:
> Sample    Name      Cp
> A1        Actin     17
> A2        Actin     18
> A3        Actin     16
>
> And saved it as a text file "test.qPCR.txt" to be able to import it.
> For this I downloaded "RStudio" and in this program I imported my
> dataset "test.qPCR.txt.
> (This is what is printed on the command line (not by me, but by the
> program RStudio):
>> test.qPCR <- read.delim("~/test.qPCR.txt", dec=",")

It's not such a bad idea to make some fake data to practice with.
However, you have to first ensure that the data conform to what the
program expects. If you look at the help page for readCtData(), you will
see that the input file format can be one of many different types. A
close reading will indicate that the format you have chosen for your
fake data isn't one of them.

There are often example scripts that are part of a help page that you
can run, and that holds true for this function. So if you type

example("readCtData")

at the R prompt, you will run the example data and get a qPCRset that
you can then play around with. You might also look at the vignette for
this package:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.11/bioc/vignettes/HTqPCR/inst/doc/HTqPCR.pdf

which looks pretty helpful to me.

Best,