[BioC] Bioconductor Digest, Vol 119, Issue 1

w langdon w.langdon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 11:01:20 CET 2013

Dear Leo,
          Nice to hear from you.
I guess our approaches are complementary rather than competitive.
The code in http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/ftp/gp-code/R/TCBB-2007-11-0161_noCEL.tar
does not try and replace RMA but provides a means of locating
dodgy areas on microarrays. Spatial errors. Ie less trustworthy probe values.

Also robust averages (ie with outlier removal) of tens of thousands of cel
files can be calculated on a fairly standard PC using R by not trying to keep
them all simultaneously in R data structures. We have used the resulting
"average array" to quantile normalise single genechips (or 10000+ arrays).

Much of our subsequent analysis has been using individual probes
(see http://bioinformatics.essex.ac.uk/users/wlangdon/rnanet/ )
but the original idea was to feed the normalised probe data into RMA
and similiar probeset based algorithms.

Bill