[BioC] Repeated Measures mRNA expression analysis

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Jul 1 16:16:04 CEST 2013

Hi Charles,

On 7/1/2013 9:07 AM, Charles Determan Jr wrote:
> I apologize for a second post but I want to bring this questing back up as
> I still cannot find a definitive answer on my own.  In brief, I am
> wondering about the design matrix when testing for differential expression
> between two groups within which each sample has been measured at
> consecutive timepoints (repeated measures).  Therefore, if my
> interpretations are correct, I need a two-way analysis that recognizes
> dependence between consecutive measurements.  I am familiar with limma,
> edgeR and DESeq but am uncertain how to design an appropriate design matrix
> for these comparisons.  The best I can guess is that I add a 'Subject'
> factor to the design matrix corresponding to each unique sample to correct
> for dependence, is this correct?

It depends on how sophisticated you want to get, or alternatively what
assumptions you are willing to make.

The simplest thing to do would be to block on subject (see the blocking
portion of the limma User's guide, starting on p. 42). This makes very
simple assumptions about the data, namely that the differences between
subjects can be accounted for by the mean of each subject.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.