[BioC] AWS cluster not finding installed R packages

John K DeHart john at enginetix.com
Mon Jul 15 19:58:30 CEST 2013

Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at ...> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM, John [guest] <guest at ...> wrote:
> >
> > I'm building an aws cluster with bioconductor and I have to install some
packages from CRAN prior to the
> start of the run. I'm using doSNOW for the parallel tasks. When I start
the run I receive the error... "X
> Package not found" where X  is my installed packages. If I run on a single
multicore system this error is not received.

> > I tried logging into each node and installing locally but I still
receive the same error.

> > Any ideas?
>
> I think I need more information. What is the command or code you are
> using to install packages on all nodes in the cluster?
>
> How exactly did you start up the cluster?
>
> Dan
>
> > Thanks
> >
> >  -- output of sessionInfo():
> >
> > "X Package not found"
> >
> > --
> > Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.

> Search the archives:

Dan,

I'm starting the system using the link "Start parallel Cluster with ssh
access" on the Bioconductor - Cloud AMI web page. I create the cluster in R
with the "cl <- makePSOCKcluster" as specified on the same page (by reading
the host file...). The cluster starts normally and I can see that is
contains all of the nodes.

I'm exporting the libraries and data:
clusterEvalQ(cl, library(the library I need))
clusterExport(cl, c('data', 'i', 'need'))
registerDoSNOW(cl)

When I execute I get the error "The library X is not found". If I run this
on the local cores only... no problem.

I did try and ssh into each node and install the library locally then went
back to the master to execute and the same thing happened.

Thanks for the help... I really appreciate it,
John