[BioC] Repeated Measures mRNA expression analysis

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 26 01:57:13 CEST 2013

Dear Charles,

The term "repeated measures" describes a situation in which repeated
measurements are made on the same biological unit.  Hence the repeated
measurements are correlated.  It is not clear from the brief information
you give whether this is the case, or whether the different time points
derive from independent biological samples.

The model you give might or might not be correct, depending on the
experimental units and the hypotheses that you plan to test.  For most
experiments it is not the right approach, for reasons that I have pointed
out elsewhere:

https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2013-June/053297.html

Best wishes
Gordon