[BioC] [Bioc] RNAseq less sensitive than microarrays? Is it a statistical issue?

Thomas Girke thomas.girke at ucr.edu
Tue May 21 17:49:43 CEST 2013

Hi Simon,

Because of these complications, I am sometimes wondering whether one
couldn't use for many RNA-Seq use cases coverage values (e.g. mean
coverage) as raw expression measure instead of read counts. Has anyone
systematically tested whether this would be a suitable approach for the
downstream DEG analysis? Right now everyone believes RNA-Seq analysis
requires read counting, but honestly I don't see why that is. Perhaps
the benefits of this are so minor that it is not worth dealing with a
different type of expression measure.

Thomas