[BioC] [Bioc] RNAseq less sensitive than microarrays? Is it a statistical issue?

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Tue May 21 19:58:25 CEST 2013

Hi Thomas,

Gordon Smyth has noted previously on this list that limma's voom method
is happy to accept raw counts, CPM, FPKM, and base counts (read counts
times read length, allows splitting reads across exons). My
understanding is that voom doesn't depend or exploit the discrete nature
of count data that is fed to it, and can handle any data for which it
can properly model the mean-variance relationship (heteroskedasticity).
I'm sure Gordon could elaborate on this if I've missed anything.

Also, note that "mean coverage" is more or less just another way to
spell FPKM. And even if you want to calculate some other expression
measure such as FPKM, you still need to properly assign reads to genes
or transcripts, so using an alternate expression measure doesn't get
around the difficulties associated with read counting, unless I'm
missing something.

-Ryan Thompson