[BioC] LIMMA on RT-PCR data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Nov 12 23:50:21 CET 2013

Hi Sandhya,

Yes, limma should work fine on this data, although you are on the lower
boundary in terms of number of genes.  Theoretically, the minimum number
of genes for the empirical Bayes procedure to be beneficial is three.
Four genes is probably the minimum from a practical point of view.

You may already know how to use duplicateCorrelation.  If you have a
simple before vs after paired comparison with some unmatched samples, then
you could proceed like this:

  design <- model.matrix(~treatment)
  dupcor <- duplicateCorrelation(y, design, block=patient)
  fit <- lmFit(y, design, block=patient, correlation=dupcor$consensus)
  fit <- eBayes(fit)
  topTable(fit,coef=2)

Be sure to check that dupcor$consensus is greater than zero.

We used this strategy to compare tumour vs normal tissue in the
presence of unmatched samples in

  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17236199

although that was microarray data rather than PCR.

Best wishes
Gordon