[BioC] Coercing matrix into expression set, for normalization of only subsets of miRNAs (affy miRNA3.0)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Fri Oct 25 23:41:41 CEST 2013

Hi Dana,

On Friday, October 25, 2013 5:14:36 PM, Dana Most wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I am trying to separate the mature and premature microRNAs because
> they have different hybridization characteristics. I thought it would
> be more 'statistically correct' to normalize them separately since
> these two populations are different. If I don't intend to compare the
> premature and mature microRNAs to each other, are there any
> disadvantages of separating them? except for the obvious reason - that
> there is no function available for easy use and I am hardly a programmer.

What do you mean by 'different hybridization characteristics'?
Hybridization to the array, or something biological?

If you mean biologically different, that is not relevant to the
normalization. The only thing that is relevant to the normalization is
that the relative amount of transcript doesn't change for most miRNAs,
and that the distribution of the data is similar between arrays. Any
biological consideration is moot. If it weren't, the quantile
normalization wouldn't be reasonable for mRNA arrays either.

If you mean that the hybridization to the array is different, then in
what way? All the probes are just 25-mers. I guess you could argue that
the hairpin transcripts, being longer will hybridize differently, but
that still doesn't matter. The only assumptions being made are
distributional, so if one transcript tends to bind better or worse than
another, it doesn't matter. Again, if it did, quantile normalization
wouldn't be useful for mRNA arrays either.

> So there's no easy way to coerce a data matrix (or a subset of the
> data) into an ExpressionFeatureSet structure to satisfy the rma function?
>
> Maybe I can convert the matrix into an ExpressionSet using Biobase, do
> you know if there's a way to to convert the ExpressionSet into an
> ExpressionFeatureSet?

No, you can't go back. What you have to understand is that each miRNA
has a certain number of probes that measure the expression of that
miRNA. When you run rma(), you are summarizing the expression of all
the probes that measure a given miRNA in order to come up with a single
value for each miRNA. An ExpressionSet isn't designed to handle the
data in an ExpressionFeatureSet. In addition, the summarization
requires that you know _which_ of the probes belong to a given probeset
(where the probeset gives an idea of the expression for a single
miRNA). If you mess with the data in an ExpressionFeatureSet, you also
have to change the pd.info package to reflect those changes.

Long story short, I think you are worrying about something that is not
worth worrying about. You can certainly try to do something to
normalize these probes differently but in the end I doubt it will make
a difference, and almost surely won't have been worth the time spent.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.