[BioC] Coercing matrix into expression set, for normalization of only subsets of miRNAs (affy miRNA3.0)

Pekka Kohonen pkpekka at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 15:24:15 CET 2013

Hello Dana,

RMA is essentially a collection of normalization and data summation
steps that can be, at least in theory, implemented separately and
using matrices instead of ExpressionSet objects. Eset objects can then
be constructed later. So if you feel that (for whatever reason) you
should normalize pre-miRNA and mature-miRNA probes separately you can
do that. But you would need to separate the the probes for each in the
.cel file (by inspecting the annotation package). And then run
quantile normalization on it and then run the medianpolish method to
summarize probes to probe-sets.

RMA (and quantile normalization) makes certain assumptions, for
instance that transcripts do not change on the average much. since
there are so few miRNAs, if one subset changes too much it might
indeed makes sense to normalize without it (although this is
unlikely).

I think it would be best if you normalized the entire data set first
with the default RMA protocol. Then you can extract the pre-miR and
mature-miR probesets out of the data and see if the samples are
unbalanced in either subset (dencities no longer overlap) using limma
plotDensity(eSet, oneDevice=T, main=""). If they are unbalanced then
you could re-run the limma  normalizeQuantiles() on the mature-miRNA
subset using the probeset intensities instead of the probe signals.
This function accepts either matrices of ESet objects. eSet objects
can be subsetted easily based on the features or you can use the
matrix.

But normalization protocols are well developed in general. I don't
think it makes a lot of sense to mess with them, unless your sample is
somehow peculiar. Also, in general, you can never compare the signal
from one probe or probeset to another probe or probeset, except in
terms of the relative change between one or more samples. Every probe
has different hybridization characteristics so that one intensity,
even if exactly identical, does not signify the same absolute mRNA
level as another intensity. Your arguments would need to be based on
distributional assumptions.

BR, Pekka