[BioC] doParallel with Bumphunter gives Error in mcfork()

Brad Ruzicka [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Sun Apr 13 04:42:09 CEST 2014

I'm trying to run bumphunter within the minfi package on a linux cluster, and when I use doParallel with bumphunter it consistently errors out with "Error in mcfork() : unable to fork, possible reason: Cannot allocate memory"
I haven't been able to find a solution searching the web or working with our support staff.
Has anyone seen this before or know where the problem is?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
- Brad

 -- output of sessionInfo():

	JDK 1.6 module

	  This module sets up the following environment
	  variables for JDK 1.6:
	      PATH /n/app/jdk1.6.0_11/bin

Attaching package: ‘BiocGenerics’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:parallel’:

    clusterApply, clusterApplyLB, clusterCall, clusterEvalQ,
    clusterExport, clusterMap, parApply, parCapply, parLapply,
    parLapplyLB, parRapply, parSapply, parSapplyLB

The following object is masked from ‘package:stats’:

    xtabs

The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:

    anyDuplicated, append, as.data.frame, as.vector, cbind, colnames,
    duplicated, eval, evalq, Filter, Find, get, intersect, is.unsorted,
    lapply, Map, mapply, match, mget, order, paste, pmax, pmax.int,
    pmin, pmin.int, Position, rank, rbind, Reduce, rep.int, rownames,
    sapply, setdiff, sort, table, tapply, union, unique, unlist

Welcome to Bioconductor

    Vignettes contain introductory material; view with
    'browseVignettes()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
    'citation("Biobase")', and for packages 'citation("pkgname")'.

Attaching package: ‘reshape’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:plyr’:

    rename, round_any

Attaching package: ‘IRanges’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:reshape’:

    expand, rename

The following objects are masked from ‘package:plyr’:

    desc, rename

Attaching package: ‘XVector’

The following object is masked from ‘package:plyr’:

    compact

locfit 1.5-9.1 	 2013-03-22

Attaching package: ‘locfit’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:GenomicRanges’:

    left, right

[bumphunterEngine] Parallelizing using 64 workers/cores (backend: doParallel, version: 1.0.6).
[bumphunterEngine] Computing coefficients.
[bumphunterEngine] Performing 1000 permutations.
[bumphunterEngine] Computing marginal permutation p-values.
[bumphunterEngine] cutoff: 0.05
[bumphunterEngine] Finding regions.
[bumphunterEngine] Found 175279 bumps.
[bumphunterEngine] Computing regions for each permutation.

Attaching package: ‘pkgmaker’

The following object is masked from ‘package:IRanges’:

    new2

Error in mcfork() :
  unable to fork, possible reason: Cannot allocate memory
Calls: bumphunter ... %dopar% -> <Anonymous> -> mclapply -> lapply -> FUN -> mcfork
Execution halted

--
Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.