[BioC] voom transformed data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Apr 14 01:02:21 CEST 2014

Dear Gokmen,

You ask how to get the data from voom, but you clearly already know how to
get voom.object$E and voom.object$weights, which is the output from voom.

Are you hoping that there is some way to combine these two quantities, so
that the weights are no longer needed?  No there isn't.  The whole point
of the voom method is to keep the log-cpm values and weights separate.
As the published paper explains, the output should be used with software
that is able to make use of the precision weights.

If you want to obtain log-cpm or log-rpkm values for clustering, then I
suggest the cpm() or rpkm() functions in the edgeR package.

Best wishes
Gordon