[BioC] Robustspline and two dimentional loess for two color agilent data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Aug 22 08:26:03 CEST 2014

Dear Samane,

You can use robustspline as an alternative to loess for any two-colour
microarray.

Robustspline should be better than print-tip-loess when there are multiple
print-tip groups.

When there are no print-tip groups, robustspline and loess should be
similar.  However robustspline is more robust than loess.  Technically, it
has a higher breakdown point than loess.  This means that it can tolerate
a greater proportion of outliers or DE probes than loess.

Robustspline has been relatively little used and cited in the literature
because I have not published the method or actively promoted it.  However
this is just a reflection of my lack of time, not that the method doesn't
work well.  If you find that it works for your data, there is no reason
why you shouldn't use it.

Best wishes
Gordon