[BioC] What RNA-Seq expression estimates to use for plotting to show voom/limma Differential expression

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 9 04:53:25 CET 2014

Please keep the discussion on the Bioconductor mailing list.

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Heather Estrella wrote:

> Thank you for responding. The CPM in the voom structure is what I have
> been using. My concern is that I am not confident I can use CPM to
> compare across genes.

You can't use CPM to compare across genes, but you can use it to display
differential expression between conditions, which is what I understood you
to be asking for.

> The key set of questions I am trying to answer are
> the following:
>
> 1. What is the estimated expression level of gene A and how does that level compare to a predefined set of other genes?

Just take the log2CPM values from voom, and subtract log2(GeneLength/1000)
from each row, where GeneLength is the effective length of each gene in
bases.  This will convert the log2CPM values into log2 FPKM.

Best wishes
Gordon