[BioC] Problem when trying to use \'affy\' package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Jan 27 18:22:36 CET 2014

Hi Kaj,

I don't see anything obviously wrong with your script.

I do wonder why you are bothering with loess normalization. Maybe 10
years ago, normalization of Affy arrays was a relatively hot topic, but
people have since pretty much settled on quantile normalization. I
don't mean to imply that you should be using quantile normalization to
normalize samples from three different experiments - that would be
crazy - but I don't think you will be able to do a better job with
cyclic loess. And none of the normalization routines are designed to
account for batch effects, so you shouldn't really be normalizing all
the arrays together anyway.

Instead, you might consider normalizing data from each experiment
separately, and then using ComBat() from the sva package to remove the
batch effects. Alternatively you could use SCAN.UPC to summarize your
data.

Best,

Jim

--