[BioC] Problem when trying to use \'affy\' package

Kaj kajkajkajkajkaj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 03:50:36 CET 2014

On 28/01/14 00:22, James W. MacDonald wrote:
> Hi Kaj,
>
> I don't see anything obviously wrong with your script.
>
> I do wonder why you are bothering with loess normalization. Maybe 10
> years ago, normalization of Affy arrays was a relatively hot topic,
> but people have since pretty much settled on quantile normalization. I
> don't mean to imply that you should be using quantile normalization to
> normalize samples from three different experiments - that would be
> crazy - but I don't think you will be able to do a better job with
> cyclic loess. And none of the normalization routines are designed to
> account for batch effects, so you shouldn't really be normalizing all
> the arrays together anyway.
>
> Instead, you might consider normalizing data from each experiment
> separately, and then using ComBat() from the sva package to remove the
> batch effects. Alternatively you could use SCAN.UPC to summarize your
> data.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim
>

> On Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:42:01 PM, Kaj wrote:
>> On 22/01/14 01:24, James W. MacDonald wrote:
>>> Hi Kaj,

>>> You will need to give us more information than that. How did you
>>> generate the AffyBatch you are using? What array? What exactly are
>>> you trying to do?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Jim

>>> --
>>> James W. MacDonald, M.S.
>>> Biostatistician
>>> University of Washington
>>> Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
>>> 4225 Roosevelt Way NE, # 100
>>> Seattle WA 98105-6099
>> Dear James,
>>
>> I'm tremendously sorry for my late response.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your attention and reply. Here attached the
>> script I have tried lately. What I want to do is to pre-process CEL
>> files of canine affymetrix platform acquired from different experiments.
>>
>> Thank you very much again for your help.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Kaj
>
> --
> James W. MacDonald, M.S.
> Biostatistician
> University of Washington
> Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
> 4225 Roosevelt Way NE, # 100
> Seattle WA 98105-6099
Dear Jim,

To tell you the truth, I already try other normalization methods
combined with batch correction using ComBat. I'm trying to determine
which methods are the best to pre-process the data.

There should be something wrong with my script trying Cyclic Loess.
Could you please guide me a bit?

Best Regards,
Kaj