[BioC] edgeR: plotBCV, gof() and plotMDS, for outlier detection

Ryan rct at thompsonclan.org
Mon Mar 3 09:25:06 CET 2014

Ok, since the upper band disappears when you exclude the outlier
sample, I think that means that all the genes in the upper band of the
original BCV plot are the specific genes that are responsible for the
sample being an outlier, and the rest of the genes (the lower band) are
behaving normally even in the outlier sample. You might try looking at
the behavior of the 100 highest-dispersion genes in the outlier sample
vs the other samples, to see if there is a consistent pattern (e.g.
they are all way overrepresented in the outlier sample). Again, though,
I'm not sure what you can do to fix the problem other than discarding
the sample entirely.