[BioC] Microarray data analysis

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 25 02:28:10 CET 2014

The limma User's Guide includes a series of fully worked case studies
starting in Chapter 16, and raw data is provided for all or most of them.

The earlier chapters describe how one would use code.  Readers are
expected to adapt this advice to their own data and situation.

The code you give occurs on page 12, and immediately before it the text
says:

"This is a quick overview of what an analysis might look like. ... We
assume that the images have been analyzed using GenePix to produce a .gpr
file for each array and that a targets file targets.txt has been prepared
with a column containing the names of the .gpr files."

This tells you that it is a hypothetical example.

Realistically, microarray data is quite complex, and you should expect to
have to read further than the second page of the "quick start" before
knowing enough to do an analysis for yourself.

Best wishes
Gordon