[BioC] limma: percent of variance explained

Julien Roux julien.roux at unil.ch
Wed May 21 16:26:39 CEST 2014

Dear all,
I am analyzing an RNA-seq experiment with voom+limma.
The design of the experiment had two fixed effect factors that I
combined into one vector including all combinations of the levels of the
2 factors (as explained in the limma user guide, section 9.5), and a
random effect that I model using the block and correlation arguments in
lmFit.
I am wondering if it would be possible to estimate, for each gene, what
is the proportion of variance explained by each factor from the lmFit
result? Is it possible to get ANOVA-like tables for all genes? Is it
also possible to get the proportion of variance explained by the random
effect factor?
I have seen this kind of analysis performed in published studies (e.g.,
Figure 3c in t Hoen PA et al. 2013 Nat Biotechnol
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24037425), but the details are
missing in the Materials & Methods.
Thanks a lot for your help
Julien

--
Julien Roux, PhD
Gilad lab, Department of Human Genetics, University of Chicago