[BioC] limma: percent of variance explained

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu May 22 13:07:53 CEST 2014

> Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:26:39 +0200
> From: Julien Roux <julien.roux at unil.ch>
> To: bioconductor at r-project.org
> Subject: [BioC] limma: percent of variance explained
>
> Dear all,
> I am analyzing an RNA-seq experiment with voom+limma.
> The design of the experiment had two fixed effect factors that I
> combined into one vector including all combinations of the levels of the
> 2 factors (as explained in the limma user guide, section 9.5), and a
> random effect that I model using the block and correlation arguments in
> lmFit.
> I am wondering if it would be possible to estimate, for each gene, what
> is the proportion of variance explained by each factor from the lmFit
> result?

Yes, but you have to determine in which order the factors are to be added
to the model.  There are three terms: 1. First factor added, 2. Second
factor adjusted for first, 3. Interaction adjusted for main effects.

Note that the proportion of variance explained is just a descriptive
measure that is associated with any regression model.  It is not something
that is "estimated", it is just an observed number.  You can't do any
inference with it.  Also it doesn't take account of any empirical Bayes
considerations.

> Is it possible to get ANOVA-like tables for all genes?

Yes, again you have to determine the order the factors are to be added.

I don't recommend anova-like tables.  The values for the main effects are
pretty meaningless in the presence of an significant interaction.

> Is it also possible to get the proportion of variance explained by the
> random effect factor?

No it isn't. The concept is undefined for random effects and REML.

Gordon