[ESS] brace_linter

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rd|@z02 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 30 12:27:51 CEST 2024

Dear Mark,

Out of the box ("emacs -Q" and then "M-x package-initialize") I think there is no linting. At least for me, linting happens when I enable flycheck or flymake, so maybe flycheck or flymake are being enabled in your emacs-init.el file for all prog-modes? You can check this by

C-h v flymake-mode
C-h v flycheck-mode

in your R code buffer, to see which one of the above minor modes is active.

If you (or your config) enable flycheck or flymake in an R buffer, then the variables `flycheck-lintr-linters` (for flycheck)  and `ess-r-flymake-linters` (for flymake) control what linters are used. You could set whichever is relevant to your liking; for example, this keeps many linters quiet for me:

    (setq flycheck-lintr-linters
	  "with_defaults(object_name_linter = NULL, camel_case_linter = NULL, snake_case_linter = NULL, indentation_linter = NULL)")

But the most expedite procedure, if you do not need flycheck or flymake, could be to disable flycheck/flymake in ess-r-mode buffers. For example

(add-hook 'ess-r-mode-hook (lambda() (flycheck-mode -1)))

or

(add-hook 'ess-r-mode-hook (lambda() (flymake-mode -1)))

Note: I am assuming you are not using LSP; with LSP (at least with lsp-mode), things are slightly different. (And I do not use flymake, so the mentions to flymake above are guesses from analogy with flycheck).

Best,

R.

On Tue, 30-April-2024, at 07:29:33, Mark Leeds via ESS-help <ess-help using r-project.org> wrote:
> Hi All: I use R and Emacs-ESS  and I recently upgraded to R 4.4 and Ubuntu
> 23.04.
>
> Since the 2 upgrades ( yesterday ), when I emacs an R file, at the bottom
> of the ESS session it says ( if I toggle at certain places in the file )
>
> "[brace_linter] Opening curly braces should never go on their own line and
> should always be followed by a new line. "
>
> So it seems like ESS is using linter to check my code but I don't want it
> to because it puts ugly green lines whereever I'm not following the rules
> it wants.  And I'm definitely not an emacs-lisp or ess intermediate. A
> beginner at most.  So thanks for your patience and help. I'm hoping that  I
> can put something in my .emacs file to override this behavior ?
>

> Mark
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-31