[ESS] Following up, success! [was RE: [R-win] Difficulty installing R packages under Windows 11 / Cygwin]

Robert Lerche r|erche @end|ng |rom p@c|||cb|o@c|ence@@com
Wed Jan 3 02:00:44 CET 2024

It turns out it was fairly easy to make ESS work in Cygwin Emacs with R built for Windows.  The issue was of course path names.  I attach a patch that works for me.

Let me explain that I am using a company-provided and managed laptop and I have no choice but to run Windows. I am familiar with a number of Unix/Linux -like environments for Windows (Cygwin, MSYS, WSL). I have tried them all over a period of years. I use R primarily as a means for presenting data.  It is not the main thrust of my work.  Having spent considerable time making this laptop a comfortable working environment I am loathe to switch.