[ESS] Following up, success! [was RE: [R-win] Difficulty installing R packages under Windows 11 / Cygwin]

Sparapani, Rodney r@p@r@p@ @end|ng |rom mcw@edu
Wed Jan 3 20:45:14 CET 2024

Hi Robert:

Looking this over.  The issue appears to be that you need a prefix.
It has been a long time since I used Cygwin.  But I assume the
prefix is something like �c:� or �/cygwin/c�.  In other words,
the root is NOT �/�; rather something like $PREFIX/  Is that the issue?
I�m trying to think of a way that we could easily adapt to this
without hacking all over the places.  Possibly, we could support
PREFIX kind of like the way configure works.  Thanks

--
Rodney Sparapani, Associate Professor of Biostatistics, He/Him/His
Vice President, Wisconsin Chapter of the American Statistical Association
Institute for Health and Equity, Division of Biostatistics
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Campus

From: Robert Lerche <rlerche using pacificbiosciences.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 7:00 PM
To: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org>, Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com>
Cc: Sparapani, Rodney <rsparapa using mcw.edu>, ess-help (ess-help using r-project.org) <ess-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Following up, success! [was RE: [ESS] [R-win] Difficulty installing R packages under Windows 11 / Cygwin]
ATTENTION: This email originated from a sender outside of MCW. Use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments.

It turns out it was fairly easy to make ESS work in Cygwin Emacs with R built for Windows.  The issue was of course path names.  I attach a patch that works for me.

Let me explain that I am using a company-provided and managed laptop and I have no choice but to run Windows. I am familiar with a number of Unix/Linux -like environments for Windows (Cygwin, MSYS, WSL). I have tried them all over a period of years. I use R primarily as a means for presenting data.  It is not the main thrust of my work.  Having spent considerable time making this laptop a comfortable working environment I am loathe to switch.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]