Gnome interface status report

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik@ci.tuwien.ac.at
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:34:49 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi,

> First, the Find dialog now works.  Users can search backwards or
> forwards, from the top, bottom or current cursor position.  Tomorrow
> I'm going to add regular expression searches and the option to wrap
> searches.

> I have also got command line arguments working.  I'd really like
> someone to test this out, as I never use the command line arguments
> and so don't know what people generally use.

> I have added support for the R_NSIZE, R_VSIZE, R_HISTFILE, and
> R_HISTSIZE environment variables (cut'n'paste from unix/system.c :-).
> If there are any other environment variables lurking in the unix
> source code that I should know about, please let me know.

> Given that things like NSize and VSize can be set via environment
> variable, command line argument and GUI preferences, I have
> arbitrarily come up with a precedence (it's easy to change if anyone
> disagrees).  Command line arguments have the highest precedence,
> followed by the GUI prefs, followed by the environment variables.
> Arguably the environment variables should take precedence over the GUI
> preferences; but I think that it could be a bit confusing if a user
> sets the vsize using the preferences dialog, but the setting never
> takes effect because of an environment variable in the system profile.
> However, the GUI will use any environment variables as the default
> when creating the preferences.

> I have also split gnome/system.c into several files, because it was
> becoming to big for easy navigation.  The files are: system.c,
> system-unix.c, system-choosefile.c, system-console.c, and
> system-showfiles.c.  system.c has main, the argument parsing and the
> cleanup stuff.  system-unix.c has all the code that I haven't touched,
> i.e. that is (hopefully) identical to the corresponding functions in
> unix/system.c.

Committed yet?  I don't seem to get these with cvs update ...

Re X11/gnome: Last week I suggested that eventually we might have
something like

	unix/...
	unix/X11	=> libRX11.so
	unix/gnome	=> libRgnome.so
maybe also
	unix/kde
???

and at startup do

	LoadSharedLib("libR$GUI.so")

My impression was that the comments we received were all positive.  So,
maybe we should keep this in mind.

Even without the GUI DLL, the above organization would be a lot cleaner.
How easy would it be to accomplish that?  It seems that we can have

	*sock*
	dynload.c
	hpdlfcn.c

in common, and maybe we only need to take waitforActivity() out from
system.c?

-k
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"