[Rd] Re: [Omega-devel] StatDataML

David James David James <dj@research.bell-labs.com>
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 16:36:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I just had a very quick look at the StatDataML proposal --- nice
work!   At the risk of showing my ignorance, I want to mention
my first impressions.

My first impression is that defining datasets in terms of
arrays and list is a bit too high a level.  What about
simpler vectors, scalars? (I know that R/S don't have scalars,
but other systems/applications do.)  Can we think of a core
set of "basic" data types (factors, strings, integers, etc.)
from which to build on other, possibly recursive types (perhaps
similar to corba's IDL basic data types or S's datadump?).
Would it make sense to imagine, say xlispstat/python/java applications
reading  and interpreting an StatDataML document without serious difficulties?

My gut feeling (which is often wrong) is that the DTD should make
the data self-describing:  e.g., the factor "machineId" has
levels (or defining set) "Stepper1", "Stepper2", ... "Stepper20",
eventhough the particular dataset at hand has only a
subset of those.  Similarly, perhaps allowing  units and classes
to be included in the dataset (in the case of currency, it is certainly
a number, perhaps single precision, perhaps not, with specific units
dollars, euros, pesos, etc.)

More long-term, how about application-defined data?  Application may have
it's own set of data objects that fully exploits contextual
information that could be extremely useful to capture and
communicate.  Also, do the data have to be in ASCII format?  What about
(possibly mime-encoded) images? sound?

As I mentioned, these are questions coming from my lack of experience
with XML, but may be worth raising now better than later :-)

David A. James
Statistics Research, Room 2C-253            Phone:  (908) 582-3082
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies              Fax:    (908) 582-3340
Murray Hill, NJ 09794-0636

Erich.Neuwirth@univie.ac.at, hothorn@ci.tuwien.ac.at, baier@ci.tuwien.ac.at,
Christian.Buchta@wu-wien.ac.at