Lisp-stat and R? [was: Re: Status?]

friendly@yorku.ca friendly@yorku.ca
8 Aug 2002 18:43:08 -0000

John Fox (see below) raises important questions for
the Lisp-stat community (and perhaps the R community) to consider.
This message thread was not cross-posted to r-devel@lists.r-project.org,
so I do so now.

I have never been an active or particularly adept Lisp-stat programmer. But I
have worked on or used several projects for which Lisp-stat seemed the ideal
environment-- for implementing relatively portable, state-of-the-art
applications, using dynamically-linked graphic windows to provide
and demonstrate leading-edge examples of highly-interctive environments
for the whole range from testing new ideas to delivering course content,
as has been done with Arc and ViSta.

My work with Forrest Young and Pedro Valero on ViSta implementations
of mosaic displays and other methods for categorical data has been
particularly gratifying, in that we've (well, largely Pedro) been able
to implement the kinds of interactive graphical analysis for contingency
tables that I always dreamed of.  This hinged on the built-in facilities
for object-oriented interactive graphic methods, abilities to link
graphic windows dynamically, and so forth, and Forrest's spreadplot
architecture for ViSta, which combines these facilities with a general
graph/window layout mechanism, so that all graph and text windows can
be made to work coherently.

But, as John points out, a number of people, formerly active in Lisp-stat
development have switched to R, for the reasons he outlines in his first
paragraph. I might add that for static graphs, and saving graphic
images, R now rivals, and, in some cases exceeds, what I have been
able to accomplish in SAS  -- but this (complete control of all graphic
parameters, text & math labels, etc.) is something that has always
been difficult and limited in Lisp-stat

On the other hand, R has very limited built-in facilities for
interactive graphics, and none that can be called 'dynamic'; nor does
it have any native GUI-building facilities, such as are used, with
great effect, in Arc and ViSta.  There is, however, a built-in mechanism
for R to interact with other software.  The Omega Project
(http://www.omegahat.org) details some of these, and there are also
other similar efforts (e.g., R-ggobi)

So, from the core of folks in the union (or intersection) of

Lisp-stat and R developers: is there anyone to respond to John's
challenge -- ``to incorporate the Lisp-stat graphics and GUI-building

capabilities into R''  I'll add a challenge of my own -- to incorportate
R modelling, static graphics and data manipulations into Lisp-stat.

-Michael