[Rd] RAqua

Stefano Iacus jago at mclink.it
Thu Aug 14 00:28:47 MEST 2003

On Mercoledì, ago 13, 2003, at 18:26 Europe/Rome, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>
>> Some additional suggestions:
>>
>> If you install/update packages, the output can be viewed in the
>> Console application. Is that really the place where we want it ?
>
> Good point.  It's not clear exactly which functions should output to
> separate windows rather than the console.  Currently this is decided
> automatically by whether the function uses the pager or cat/print.
>
> The main drawback of putting the output in a separate window is that
> the
> current ways of doing this would not show any output until the
> installation is complete.   I find that the main reason to turn off (or
> turn down) buffered output in the console is exactly to see the
> incremental output from package installations.   Of course, an entirely
> GUI solution using progress bars &c would be nice, but it's not going
> happen (certainly not before 1.8.0).
>
>> update.packages() without argument can be used from the RAqua
>> console, but maybe the GUI should have an update.all
>> button
>
> As the default in Packages|update is to update, you can update all
> packages by choosing Packages|update and then closing the window
> without
> changing anything.
>
> BTW, I've just fixed all the data browser windows to show when their
> contents have been modified, which gives a bit more interface feedback
> that something will happen when you close the window.
>
>> Quit from the menu requires you to respond to a question in
>> the RAqua console. It would be more intuitive if Quit from the
>> menu brought up a dialog window asking if you wanted
>> to save the workspace.
>
> And it now does.

Today I have put a new version of RAqua installer package on my page
http://www.economia.unimi.it/R/

It is sync-ed with today's r-devel (11 GMT)

>> If you change settings in Network, for instance, there is an "Apply
>> Now" button.
>
> Yes. I don't disagree in principle, and I have found it confusing in
> OS X that some things need confirmation and others don't.
>
> A dialog sheet asking for confirmation would be nice.  I don't know
> how to
> do these yet, but I am looking.

navigation API allows you for that by specifiing window modality
opportunely. Have a look inside NavSample code in the Carbon SDK 1.6
from apple. THe "modern.c" file explains how to do these sort of stuff.
Sheet window are a problem as the dialog does not exit after a user
selection (just like any ohter dialog!!!) but just after opening the
dialog. You have to write some dedicated event loop code. I've avoided
sheets for this reason.