[Rd] Strategies for S-PLUS compatibility?

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:49:58 MEST 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I'd like to give a copy of an R package to someone using S-PLUS.  It
> doesn't just run as-is, it'll need changes.  Has anyone written any
> general guidelines on ways to port in that direction?

This depends a lot on what `S-PLUS' is (Unix/Windows, 3.4/4.x/2000/5.x/6.x
are all different).  My best shot is to refer to `S Programming' about
constructing a package under the appropriate S-PLUS section.

If it's a recent version of S-PLUS, you should convert the help files to
Ssgm with Rdconv rename .R files to .q and uses a single-level
directory structure.  Beyond that it is a matter of experience and
trial-and-error: if C is involved it is essential to have header files
declaring (correctly) all entry points used.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk