[Rd] OpenBSD 3.[23] and R-1.7.1

Peter Rye prye at shiraz.apana.org.au
Sun Jul 27 12:31:04 MEST 2003

    >> Just a side note: it's not a good idea to patch configure, since it
    >> is auto-generated from configure.ac You probably want to use
    >> following patch for configure.ac: (this one is based on current
    >> R-devel, but that should be no problem)

    Kurt> Thanks for the patch.  I currently cannot connect to franz, but
    Kurt> once again will commit a variant of it: libtool always uses the

    Kurt>   if test -z "`echo __ELF__ | $CC -E - | grep __ELF__`"

    Kurt> for detecting ELF (actually, it also deals with openbsd 2.8 on
    Kurt> powerpc) and seems to think that the versioned dylib exts are
    Kurt> always needed.

    Kurt> Pls check.

Yes, the OpenBSD linker fails to recognise libraries which don't end in the
major.minor version numbers. It doesn't care particularly what they are, so
a SHLIB_EXT of .so.0.0 will work perfectly (and that is what I used
initially, but it seemed a little clumsy).
For the libraries accompanying the packages etc. that are only dlopen'ed,
any extension will do, so I left it as ".so" as that is consistent with
most other OS's.

Regards,
Peter Rye