[Rd] Wording of "R Installation and Administration"

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Sun Jun 1 19:31:51 MEST 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:11:51 +1200 (NZST), you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I hope I haven't got this wrong, but I don't think one needs Perl
>installed if they install the "precompiled" packages for Windows right?

Right.

>I'm just wondering if the first sentence in the "R Installation and
>Administration" can be re-worded a bit so newbies won't get confused....

I've rewritten it from this:

> "Installing source
>packages requires that Perl 5.004 or later be installed."

to this:

"Packages may be distributed in source form or compiled binary form.
Installing source packages requires that compilers and tools
(including Perl 5.004 or later) be installed. Binary packages are
platform specific and generally need no special tools to install, but
see the documentation for your platform for details."

I hope that's clearer, but I'm not sure...

Duncan Murdoch