[Rd] R crashes when resizing windows (PR#2992)

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Tue May 13 18:23:20 MEST 2003

I've now committed changes to R-patched which appear to fix this
crash, at least on my system.

The problem was as follows:

During resizing, R allocates multiple bitmaps, then deletes them all
at the end.  If resources are tight (or if you do a lot of resizing),
you can run out of something (not sure what) and then the bitmap
allocation will fail.  This is supposed to give you an error message,
but it was leading to a crash.

To make the problem worse, intermediate allocations weren't always
being freed.

I've fixed both problems now, and am uploading a binary Windows build
to <http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/r-devel>.  Please
download and install rw1070pat.exe (22,183,871 bytes) and see if you
can get it to crash or act badly now.

I'm heading out of town for a few days, so I'm not likely to respond
to reports immediately, but I'll do so as soon as I can.

Duncan Murdoch