[Rd] R crashes when resizing windows (PR#2992)

Gavin gavin at stats.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 14 13:23:34 MEST 2003

At 22:23 13/05/2003, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>I've now committed changes to R-patched which appear to fix this
>crash, at least on my system.
>
>The problem was as follows:
>
>During resizing, R allocates multiple bitmaps, then deletes them all
>at the end.  If resources are tight (or if you do a lot of resizing),
>you can run out of something (not sure what) and then the bitmap
>allocation will fail.  This is supposed to give you an error message,
>but it was leading to a crash.
>
>To make the problem worse, intermediate allocations weren't always
>being freed.
>
>I've fixed both problems now, and am uploading a binary Windows build
>to <http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/r-devel>.  Please
>download and install rw1070pat.exe (22,183,871 bytes) and see if you
>can get it to crash or act badly now.
>
>I'm heading out of town for a few days, so I'm not likely to respond
>to reports immediately, but I'll do so as soon as I can.
>
>Duncan Murdoch

Like Uwe, I also get the same message: "Insufficient memory. Please close
the console." Click the OK button and the console window remains, but
blank. Start to resize it again and all the text content reappears and R
seems to be working normally again. This is the same for pager windows and
in both MDI and SDI mode.

So it doesn't crash now, which is great!

Gavin

* *
Dr Gavin D. Alexander
Department of Statistics