[Rd] R crashes when resizing windows (PR#2992)

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Wed May 14 14:08:50 MEST 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003 09:26:04 +0200, you wrote:

>I cannot (re)produce a crash anymore, instead the message "Insufficient
>memory. Please close the console." appears.
>Is there any reason for closing the console?

Does this happen in normal use, or only if you push things by resizing
continuously for a while?  I can get it to happen, but only by
resizing the window continuously for a minute or two. It's what I
consider to be a design flaw in Graphapp that it does a lot of
allocations during resizing, but doesn't do the deallocations
immediately  --  it just adds items to a list to be deleted at a later
time.  If you push too hard, it runs out of some resource (I think
it's device contexts) before it has done the deallocations, and you
get that message.

It's actually safe to proceed, but you need to find some way to
trigger a redraw *after* the resources have been recovered, or you
won't see anything in the console.  The simplest way to do this is to
resize the window once more.  Perhaps I should change the error
message, but if this only happens when you torture R, I don't think
it's a priority.

I think a better long term solution is to move away from Graphapp.

Duncan Murdoch