[Rd] axis() default values for "lty", "lwd", and "col"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 21 08:28:30 MEST 2003

I believe this to be deliberate.  If I do

par(lty=2,lwd=3,col="blue")
plot(1:10)

I do not want the axes to be thick, dotted and blue, with black labels.
(It is also I suspect deliberate that

plot(1:10,lty=2,lwd=3,col="blue")

does not pass any of those parameters on to axis().)

You say you made the labels bigger: to do that you needed to set cex.axis
and cex.main, not cex.

I'm afraid this change would break a lot of existing code.  I am aware
that S-PLUS does this (with blue labels too), and I have always found it
irritating to have to work around it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk