[Rd] axis() default values for "lty", "lwd", and "col"

Jerome Asselin jerome at hivnet.ubc.ca
Wed May 21 02:27:36 MEST 2003

Thank you Prof Ripley for your comments. Let me explain in greater detail
what I was thinking.

I agree that blue dotted axes are quite unusual, but thicker axes are
useful. With the default lwd=1, some tickmarks don't show up if I shrink
my plot and then print it on paper. Using lwd=2 for axes does fix that
problem, but I have to make separate calls to axis() with option lwd=2 in
order to do that.

My vision was that par() would give default values for everything
(including lwd, lty and col) to be plotted in the graphical device. The
user would explicitely define parameters in specific functions when
different options are required.

For example, the following would give axes and tickmarks of lwd=2, but the
diagonal line would be of lwd=4.
par(lwd=2)
plot(1:10,type="l",lwd=4)
Note that the box around the plot is of lwd=2 (as I would expect), but the
axes (which are hidden under the box) and tickmarks are drawn with lwd=1.
So there is an inconsistency between the width of the box and the
tickmarks (and "hidden" axes). Why should there be?

Moreover, I think the user should have a good reason for using
  par(lty=2,lwd=3,col="blue")
  plot(1:10)
as opposed to
  dev.off() #clean up!
  plot(1:10,lty=2,lwd=3,col="blue")
These two ways of plotting are very different. In the first way, the
parameters lty=2, lwd=3, and col="blue" should apply to everything in the
graphical window, whereas in the second way they should apply only to the
points.

Ideally, the distinction should be clear and consistent for all plotting
functions. I also share your concerns that "this change would break a lot
of existing code".

Sincerely,
Jerome Asselin