[Rd] Size of x11 device

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed May 21 20:52:52 MEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> > I've fairly recently changed my Linux desktop, and now use a XFree86
> > server.  The default X11() window is rather small: it is supposed to be
> > 7" x 7".  However,
> >
> > 1) It is actually just over 5" x 5" and
> > 2) 7" x 7" would be rather small on a 21" screen.
> >
> > The reason for 1) is that DisplayWidthMM give 542mm, when it is really
> > close to 400mm (and the correct monitor was specified).
>
> Thanks to Marc Schwartz and Simon Urbanek for help on examining this.  It
> seems there is a bug in my setup: it is configured (correctly) for 400 x
> 300mm, 1600x1200 and hence 102dpi, but 1600 at 75dpi is 542mm.
>

> Is anyone else unhappy with what the default 7" x 7" gives them?

Not on this machine, no. On a 17" screen it fills just about half the
screenwidth, which is quite reasonable if you want to be able to
navigate between multiple windows.

My resolution is a bit on the high side too: xdpyinfo claims 75 dpi
and display width of 347mm but it's actually closer to 325mm, and the
window about 166mm instead of 178mm.