[Rd] Possible R CMD check problem (PR#3070)

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu May 22 19:59:25 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 03:52, Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at wrote:
> Why do you think there is a bug in R rather than in your package? (I
> assume that it is a package of yours, at least it's not on CRAN).

Well, I did say "possible" problem.  The reason I think so is that part
of the error message (Could not create DVI version) is wrong (a dvi file
was produced) and part of it (This typically indicates Rd problems) is
misleading.  There is also some chance that the problems are deeper than
that.

> How should we be able to track this problem for you? You don't specify
> your computing platform and give us no examples we could try to
> reproduce.

I'm happy to try to isolate it here.  I'm running on Solaris 2.8.  I can
send the files if that would help.

> Does running latex on parcv-manual.tex in a shell work?

Yes (once I found out how to tell it where Rd.sty was).  However, there
is an error in the tex log, also visible (now that I look!) in the
original run.  It seems to indicate some problem with my font setup:
-----------------------------------
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/t1enc.def)kpathsea: Running
mktextfm  ecrm1000
mkdir: Failed to make directory "/usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm"; Permission
denied
kpsestat: /usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm/..: No such file or directory
usage:  chmod [-fR] <absolute-mode> file ...
        chmod [-fR] <symbolic-mode-list> file ...
where   <symbolic-mode-list> is a comma-separated list of
        [ugoa]{+|-|=}[rwxXlstugo]
mkdir: Failed to make directory "/usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm/jknappen"; No
such file or directory
kpsestat: /usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm/jknappen/..: No such file or
directory
usage:  chmod [-fR] <absolute-mode> file ...
        chmod [-fR] <symbolic-mode-list> file ...
where   <symbolic-mode-list> is a comma-separated list of
        [ugoa]{+|-|=}[rwxXlstugo]
mkdir: Failed to make directory "/usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm/jknappen/ec";
No such file or directory
kpsestat: /usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm/jknappen/ec/..: No such file or
directory
usage:  chmod [-fR] <absolute-mode> file ...
        chmod [-fR] <symbolic-mode-list> file ...
where   <symbolic-mode-list> is a comma-separated list of
        [ugoa]{+|-|=}[rwxXlstugo]
mktextfm: mktexdir /usr/local/teTeXfonts/tfm/jknappen/ec failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font T1/cmr/m/n/10=ecrm1000 at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not fou
nd.
<to be read again>
                   relax
l.96 \fontencoding\encodingdefault\selectfont

?
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/ae/ae.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
(/usr/local ....

So here's my theory:
latex runs into the problem above, which appears to be with our local
TeX setup, and returns an error code.
R thinks the code means TeX has failed to produce the dvi file.  And
then it emits the error message.

Does this seem a plausible diagnosis?

If that's correct, the undesirable behavior on R's part just relates to
the error handling and reporting.