[Rd] Re: [R] help output paged in separate window

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Sun May 25 09:20:30 MEST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003 10:42:27 +0100 (BST), Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
wrote in r-help:

>Thanks to Jonathan Baron and Peter Dalgaard for private comments and help
>on this question. Peter in particular pointed out that
>  library(tcltk); options(pager=tkpager)

I notice a bug in the behaviour when used with help().  In Windows
(and elsewhere?) the pager gets called through file.show, with the
help topic given as the "header", rather than the "title".  According
to the docs, "title" is supposed to be an overall title common to all
displayed files, while "header" is file-specific.  In Windows, a
combination of both args is used as the window title.

However, tkpager only uses the "title" argument for the window title,
putting "header" into the text being displayed, with the result that
the windows end up with no title.

Is this an inconsistency in the usage for "header" between Windows and
other platforms, or a bug in tkpager?

Duncan Murdoch