[Rd] Re: [R] help output paged in separate window

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun May 25 14:29:04 MEST 2003

Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch at pair.com> writes:

> On Sun, 25 May 2003 10:42:27 +0100 (BST), Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
> wrote in r-help:
>
> >Thanks to Jonathan Baron and Peter Dalgaard for private comments and help
> >on this question. Peter in particular pointed out that
> >  library(tcltk); options(pager=tkpager)
>
> I notice a bug in the behaviour when used with help().  In Windows
> (and elsewhere?) the pager gets called through file.show, with the
> help topic given as the "header", rather than the "title".  According
> to the docs, "title" is supposed to be an overall title common to all
> displayed files, while "header" is file-specific.  In Windows, a
> combination of both args is used as the window title.
>
> However, tkpager only uses the "title" argument for the window title,
> putting "header" into the text being displayed, with the result that
> the windows end up with no title.
>
> Is this an inconsistency in the usage for "header" between Windows and
> other platforms, or a bug in tkpager?

A bit of both, I think. The Unix version of help() has

                  file.show(zfile, title = paste("R Help on `",
                    topic, "'", sep = ""), delete.file = (zfile !=
                    file), pager = pager)

so everything is in the title. We could still paste the title and the
header arguments rather than put the header in the displayed text, of
course.

I don't read the docs as "overall title common to all displayed files"
though, just as common to the set of files displayed by file.show. Or
was that what you meant too?