[Rd] R-1.8.0 package directory permissions?

Pingping Zheng pingping.zheng at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 14:33:09 MET 2003

Hello,

I maintain a self-made R package under my own home directory
"~/.R/library" on our university computer net (SunOS 5.8 system).
After updating R to 1.8.0, I found other people cannot access my
package any more. They got this error message:

Error in library(tb, lib.loc = "/home/fs.hpc/43/zhengp1/.R/library") :

This is not a valid package -- no DESCRIPTION exists

I set my home directory permissions as "drwx--x--x", the R packages
directories, from "/home/fs.hpc/43/zhengp1/.R" and its subdirectories
as "drwxr-xr-x". It worked well before.

However, when I change my home directory permissions to
"drwxr-xr-x", giving "read" and  "execute" permissions
to everyone, no error message appeared any more.

Is that a bug in new version of R-1.8.0?

Thanks in advance.

--------
Pingping Zheng
Fylde College