[Rd] Proposal: 'global' package refactoring

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 08:23:15 MET 2003

I am explicitly not prepared to `refactor' MASS.  Not only is it
explicitly support software for a book (which references it and those
references cannot be changed retrospectively), it also represents much
work over many years.  Not that we get much credit for it, but we do get
some and these days that does matter.

Parts of MASS have been incorporated into both R and S-PLUS -- perhaps we
have already gone too far.  Indeed, I have floated the idea of migrating
some functionality back, notably that of package lqs (which is part of
MASS in the S version).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk