[Rd] Proposal: 'global' package refactoring

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 25 18:35:30 MET 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> I am explicitly not prepared to `refactor' MASS.  Not only is it
> explicitly support software for a book (which references it and those
> references cannot be changed retrospectively), it also represents much
> work over many years.  Not that we get much credit for it, but we do get
> some and these days that does matter.
>
> Parts of MASS have been incorporated into both R and S-PLUS -- perhaps we
> have already gone too far.  Indeed, I have floated the idea of migrating
> some functionality back, notably that of package lqs (which is part of
> MASS in the S version).

I think many package authors will find the idea of scattering things
they have written into many places unacceptable, both because, as
Brian says, it is hard enough to get credit for one's efforts when
there is an identifiable unit and because it makes maintenance more
difficult.

This suggests that there may be several organizations that make sense
for different purposes: one for code maintenance and one for use, or
maybe more than one for use: geostatistical users may prefer a
different organization than bioinformatics users or instructors in
elementary data analysis courses.

In principle it might be possible to use the name space mechanism to
provide different organizational structures: One can create a new
package that imports selected variables form a variety of packages and
then exports them as the variables of the new package.  At present
this does not import and re-export documentation, but that could be
addressed if this approach seems viable.  (This also only works if the
original package providing the variables has a name space.)

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney