[Rd] search documentation not working with mozilla and (PR#5383)

MSchwartz at medanalytics.com MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri Nov 28 16:43:31 MET 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 06:39, sergei at stams.strath.ac.uk wrote:
> Full_Name: Sergei Zuyev
> Version: Version 1.8.0
> OS: Mandrake Linux 9.1
> Submission from: (NULL) (195.137.88.252)
>

> When mozilla or konqueror are used as help browser, the Search Engine page links
> nor the search do not work. Mozilla quietly ignores any click, while konqueror
> gives the following information:
>
> > options(browser="/usr/bin/konqueror")
> > help.start()
> Making links in per-session dir ...
> If /usr/bin/konqueror is already running, it is *not* restarted, and
>     you must switch to its window.
> Otherwise, be patient ...
> > konqueror: Unknown parameter '-remote'.
>
> And this is what gets generated when attempting a link or a search:
>
> khtml (jscript): WARNING: Script threw exception: TypeError: Expression is no
> object. Cannot b                  e called.
>
> I have also tried netscape 4.71 which I had to manually install as it is not
> included in the distro, and everything works just fine.

This is not a bug. It is the result of not have Java properly configured
on your system for each browser. This typically involves creating a
symlink in the browser plug-in directory to the appropriate Java binary.

Here are some links for more information:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.jsp

http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.5/installation-extras.html

http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/filemanager.html#id2912264

The key with the help.start() search engine is to have Java properly
installed and configured on your system and to have BOTH Java AND
JavaScript enabled in the respective browser's settings.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz