[Rd] building XML-0.95-1 on MacOS

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 9 10:23:35 MEST 2003

This builds fine on Panther, using the libxml2 provided
by Apple in /usr/lib.

On Oct 9, 2003, at 9:02, Duncan Temple Lang wrote:

> Stefano asked me to post something along the following lines
> about the XML package.
>
> I have modified the configuration for the XML package so that it
> looks for libxml2 if instructed, or alternatively looks for libxml 1
> and, if that is not present, then libxml 2.
>
> The new version:  XML_0.95-4.tar.gz is on the Omegahat
> Web site:
>    http://www.omegahat.org/RSXML
>
> So one should not have to set any environment variables or specify
> configuration arguments if you only have libxml2 on your machine. If
> you have both libxml and libxml2, you will get libxml 1 by default.
> Use --configure-args='--with-libxml2' or set the environment variable
> XML_CONFIG to xml2-config.
>
> At some point in the future, we will stop supporting
> old versions of libxml with no xml-config script,
> header files in odd places, ...  This is what
> makes the configuration so complex.
>

>  D.
>

> Duncan Temple Lang wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sean.
>>
>>   Two things. There is a new version of the XML package
>> now on the Omegahat web site:
>>
>>   http://www.omegahat.org/RSXML/XML_0.95-3.tar.gz
>>
>> That uses a different approach to dealing with errors and avoids
>> having to redefine the xmlParserError() routine.  As a result,
>> one should not need the -m flag.
>>
>> Secondly, unless there are good reasons for using
>> libxml-1.8.*, it is preferrable to use the libxml2-2*
>> series.
>>
>> The configuration for this version of the XML package has been
>> "upgraded", but may require some assistance.  If it doesn't compile
>> out of the box, please set the environment variable XML_CONFIG to the
>> name of the xml-config or xml2-config script that provides the
>> relevant information. I'll fix this up in the next release.
>>
>>  D.
>>

>> Sean Davis wrote:
>>> I am trying to build the XML package on MacOS.  I am using the fink
>>> installation of libxml-1.8.17.  The configuration information is:
>>>
>>> Configuration information:
>>>
>>> Libxml settings
>>>
>>> libxml include directory: /sw/include/gnome-xml
>>> libxml library directory: -L/sw/lib -lxml -lz -lz  -lxml
>>> libxml 2:                 no
>>>
>>> Compilation flags:         -I/sw/include/gnome-xml
>>> -I/sw/include/gnome-xml/libxml -DLIBXML -I/sw/include/gnome-xml
>>> Link flags:               -L/sw/lib -lxml -lz -lz  -lxml
>>>

>>> Compiling produced the following error:
>>> gcc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/sw/lib
>>> -L/usr/local/lib -o XML.so DocParse.o EventParse.o ExpatParse.o
>>> HTMLParse.o RSDTD.o RUtils.o Utils.o XMLEventParse.o XMLTree.o
>>> -L/sw/lib -lxml -lz -lz  -lxml -lcc_dynamic
>>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol _xmlParserError
>>> Utils.o definition of _xmlParserError in section (__TEXT,__text)
>>> /sw/lib/libxml.dylib(error.lo) definition of _xmlParserError
>>> make: *** [XML.so] Error 1
>>> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'XML'

> [...]
===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu