[Rd] data() misbehaving inside a function

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Fri Oct 17 17:52:03 MEST 2003

There seem to be two opposing yet valid viewpoints to the
question of doing it right vs. compatibility with S-Plus.
Compatbility with older version of R is a third overlapping
possible goal.

There does not appear to be an overall statement of
intent in R, but rather, this question and others are
approached on a case by case basis.

Scoping is an example where R took the first route and the
feature in question is an example of the second.  There
are undoubtedly many more possible examples.

One possibility might be to do it right, by default, but have
a package that, when loaded, gives you S-Plus compatibility (or
visa versa).  This would cover not only this feature but other
features where there was a desire to do it right.  Some things
that are difficult to implement in two ways, such as scoping,
would presumably not be handled by this but other simpler items
such as the one in question could be.

---