[Rd] Documentation of colSums et. al (PR#4154)

David Brahm brahm at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 15 12:33:29 MEST 2003

Doug Grove <dgrove at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> Minor mistake in the documentation on the colSums page.
> In the ARGUMENTS section it states for 'dims' that:
>    For `col*', the sum or mean is over dimensions
>    `dims+1, ...'; for `row*' it is over dimensions `1:dims'.
> These two are reversed.

I think Doug is correct, isn't he?  For example, with a 5-dimensional array and
dims=3, colSums() sums over the first 3 dimensions (the "rows") and produces a
2-dimensional result.  So the sum is over dimensions 1:dims.

By the way, S-Plus (6.1.2) documentation is also incorrect; it says "colMeans
is a 2 dimensional array consisting of the means across the last 3 dimensions"
but it's really across the first 3 dimensions.

So why has this bug report ended up in the "trashcan"?
--
                              -- David Brahm (brahm at alum.mit.edu)